Friday, June 29, 2007

Saying goodbye is never easy...


Well, I have been dreading having to write this blog entry, but it needs to be done, so here goes nothing...



Monday was D-day for Ryan to be back on a plane and heading back over to Iraq. :( His whole time here, we had done our best to focus our attention on everything BUT Iraq, so Monday kind of snuck up on us, well, at least on me. We did our best to have a positive attitude about everything and try not to focus on the bad stuff. Ryan, Eli, and I spent the majority of the day enjoying one another's company and just focusing on our little family. It finally came time to tie up loose ends and head for the airport and as Ryan and I were sitting there, a song came on that said, "So kiss me goodbye, cause Honey I'm gonna make it out alive". I was doing sooo good until that, and I just lost it! The funny thing is the song is kind of silly and those are the only lyrics that apply at all, but it still made me lose it! Well, after my little melt-down, we headed to Renee's house to drop off Eli, and say goodbye to the fam and then Ryan and I would head to the airport. We hung out for a little while with Renee, Haylee, Sam, and Heather, and then Mom and Dad got there. We talked for a little while and realized we really needed to head out. Ryan went around the room saying goodbye to everyone and then it was time to say goodbye to Eli. I was already getting emotional before this, so I just had to turn around and look the other way when he said goodbye to our son. I don't know if I'll ever be able to comprehend the emotions that he was having at that very moment. I mean, I have left my family for long periods of time because of the Army, but being forced to say goodbye to your brand new baby is more pain than I can imagine. Ryan handled it better than anyone could have dreamed, but it was obvious the pain that he was going through. We finally headed out to more hugs and the tears were shared by all. Ryan and I then loaded up and headed for the airport. We did our best to make the trip as pleasant as possible, but knowing that you are saying goodbye not only to your wife, but to your brand new son, does not make it easy. When we finally arrived at the airport and checked the ticker to see what gate his flight left out of, we were not happy to see that his flight had been cancelled! My poor husband has the WORST luck with airlines, so it really should have come as no surprise. We then lugged all his gear over to the ticket counter to see what they could do for him. I was dreading the thought of my poor husband having to wait anymore than he was already going to. Well, turns out that because he was military and there were multiple connections he was going to miss, they just re booked him for the exact flight schedule leaving the following day! We were excited and overwhelmed all at the same time. The thought of him having to say goodbye one more time was daunting to say the least, but we were thrilled to spend one more day together. So, back we headed to Nay's house to plan our evening and the following day. We decided to go out to eat and celebrate, so we took the fam and Sam and Heather out to Red Lobster! :) It was of course, scrumptious, and we had a really good time enjoying everyone's company. After dinner we all went our separate ways and Ryan, Eli, and I had one more relaxing evening at home.


We decided to just enjoy our time as much as possible on Tuesday, so we relaxed in the morning and then Ryan and I left Eli with Grandma and headed to the Mall to get my birthday present. :) Seeing as I still can't fit into regular clothes and my hands are still slightly swollen, so I can't get any rings or anything, I really was at a loss to tell him what I wanted. After walking around the entire mall, I decided I would just go shopping later for shoes in his honor, cause we both were starving and would rather be eating than shopping anyways! We had a great lunch at Five Guys restaurant and then headed on to the Pediatrician which I already blogged about. :)


Well, after all that we headed back to Nay's and lets just say the goodbyes were ALOT better this time. I think it helped that we got some of our emotions out, so it was a little easier. We then headed back to the Airport and this time the flight was not canceled. :( Well, we went to the counter to check him in, and the lady was very pleasant and helpful as he explained his situation and asked for a flight itinerary. She then noticed that he was military and asked if I had an ID, because if I did, she would give me a pass to go back to the gate with him! How cool is that! We were so excited and it was nice to have a little more time to relax and enjoy each other's company. We were able to get a little dinner as we waited for his flight, and I did my best to distract him from the sad stuff. :) We had fun talking about what we were gonna do when he gets back for good. (I think we're gonna take a cruise, YAY!) Anyways, his flight kept getting delayed, and it was finally time for me to go and feed Eli, so we said goodbye and actually managed to maintain composure and be strong for one another. I love this man so very much, and I know how painful it is for him to say goodbye, so I tried as hard as I could to keep smiling and not make him feel bad that he had to leave. We are gonna be a better family because of this and that is what we have to keep in mind.


We kept saying that "We've done this before, and we know we can do it!" This is the last time we are gonna have to say goodbye for a long time, and that is a great consolation in and of itself! Next time I see him, we will FINALLY be able to be a family!


Well, that is our little sad, crazy story! He was in Balad last I heard, waiting on a flight to his base, so hopefully he should be "home" in the next day or so. Please keep him in your prayers as he is going through a lot right now with the separation.


Only a couple more months and we will be a complete family!


Thanks for praying, love ya!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you had some extra time with him...you were lucky. I can only hope for such luck with Sam...the video thing of the skydive is in the works...hopefully it will work out!

Unknown said...

Hey,you never gave me his address and I have the first 6 for him.

Bette Anne said...

Here it is. :) Sorry I forgot about it. I know, I'm a horrible wife! :)

SPC Ryan Stroud
HHC 3rd BCT 1st Cavalry Division
FOB Warhorse
APO AE 09336