Friday, June 15, 2007

Update that I sent about Eli's birth...

Well, I wanted to post this update at the hospital, but the internet connection at the hospital blocked this site which I think is so stupid, but whatever. I planned on posting it a little sooner, but I have been a little out of it with getting acclamated to Eli and Ryan being home, etc...


Anyways, I will try to keep up a little better with the blog, but here is an email I sent out to a lot of you on Tuesday...


"It is 1:10 am here, Tuesday, and just got done nursing Eli and was starving, so grabbed a little sandwich and decided I would write a little about his first day of life. :)


Last night, Mom and I checked into the OB Triage at 5:00 pm and were sent to a birth suite and told to just relax until a nurse would come by and start the admission process. I was worried about being late to the hospital, so we decided against stopping on the way for supper. Instead, we hung out a little while in the suite, and then Mom headed out to Arby's to pick up some supper. I knew that the hospital wasn't going to want me to eat anything, but after a security guard told Mom she better check to see if it was okay to bring me food, she decided to ask the nurse who promptly told her that I was not allowed to eat anything and wouldn't be eating anything but clear liquids until after the baby! I almost started crying as my last meal was at 1:30 pm and the thought of not eating for a pregnant woman what looked like 36 hours was scary and discouraging to say the least. Needless to say I was NOT happy with Mom that she asked, knowing what they were gonna say! I don't think I was very sweet to her for the first couple hours, but I think I eventually got over it! I was allowed hard candies and Popsicles and one nurse was even nice enough to strain chicken noodle soup and let me have that.


When they placed the contraction/heart rate monitor on me, they said that I was already contracting, but I honestly didn't feel a thing! They weren't true labor contractions, but at least my body was starting to prepare for Eli's arrival I was then checked at around 7:30 pm and was not dilated at all and was 50% effaced. They gave me some medication that was supposed to thin out my cervix and start contractions. This brought on pretty regular, but short Braxton Hicks type contractions that were really just annoying and crampy more than painful. At around 11:00 the nurses said that they would give me a sleeping pill since I was having a difficult time resting because of the constant contractions. I then went off to a happy land where I was literally dreaming of pink unicorns and fields of purple flowers. :) Until they decided to wake me up at 12:00 and 1:00. :( I couldn't sleep anymore because the meds had worn off, so Mom woke up with me, and we played Phase 10 and watched TV from 1:30 am - 5:00 am. At 5, the Doctor came in and checked me and said that was now 1 cm dilated and 75% effaced and that Eli had moved down a little already in the birth canal. I was thrilled at the progress and she said she was very pleased considering this was my first baby and I was not dilated at all when I came in. I then actually dosed off until they came in around 7:30 am to start my Pitocin. Around 8:00 it started to kick in with some pretty painful contractions and by 8:30. I was really hurting and so the Docs recommended I try a moderate pain reliever. This seemed to make me completely incoherent with only slight pain relief. Mom and the nurse just had to laugh at me because I would just say the most ridiculous, random things! This was when Dr. Peach got there and said that I was still 1-2 cm and 75% effaced, but decided to break my water to speed up the process. The contractions continued to get more severe and just when I thought I would break Mom's hand, they said that I could have my epidural! I was so relieved and at around 10:45, the anesthesiologist administered it and within 15 minutes I was able to talk through the contractions and within 30 minutes I was feeling almost normal again. :) Thankfully, Ryan decided not to get there until around 11:15, so I was feeling pretty good and he avoided my wrath during the really painful periods. (I don't think Mom was so lucky!) It was right around this time that Dr. Peach checked me again, and I was already 4 cm and still 75% effaced! He was very pleased with the progress, and said 0-4 cm is the most difficult progression and I may be looking at about 1 cm and hour until I get to 10. I was estatic with the progress and so thankful that God answers prayers. Between this time and around 1:30 several family members arrived, and I was able to relax and spend some time with them. At 1:30 pm, I noticed that I was feeling some pretty strong contractions and felt oddly like I should be pushing. I knew there was no way that I was already ready to push, but it concerned me enough that I thought I should call the nurse and see what she thought. She said that she would check me and see if maybe his head was just pressing on a nerve. So, we sent everyone out and as soon as she checked me she said, "You're gonna have a baby". I was thinking, we know that, that's why we're in the hospital! I then asked if I was anymore dilated, and she informed me that I was 10 cm and the baby was at full station, and I needed to get ready to push! I was in utter shock and started shaking at the prospect that we could be holding little Eli very soon! Because we had to wait a while for the Doctor to get there, we let the family back in. Needless to say they were almost as excited as we were! None of us could believe that I was only in active labor for 5 hours 20 minutes! I kept telling my nurse that the Doc better hurry and get in there cause I was NOT going to be able to hold him in there for much longer. I was so greatful that even with the epidural, I could still tell when to push. Unfortunately, my Doc was in a meeting at his clinic because he didn't dream that I would be fully dilated so soon, so the midwife on duty was sent to deliver Eli. At first I was disappointed because I really liked my Doctor, but the midwife turned out to be very nice and really made me feel comfortable. I started pushing around 2:00 and at 2:46, after a pretty painful, but bearable time of it, Elijah Luke Stroud was placed on my chest and our lives were forever changed! I know it is cliche, but I could not imagine how much I could love another human being, until I saw him and instantly fell in love. He cried pretty quickly, but quieted down almost as soon as I started to talk to him. They then took him to get weighed where he promptly peed on 3 different nurses. :) He weighed in at a healthy 9 lbs 3 oz and 22 inches long! He then got a 9 and 9 on the APGAR test, which the nurse said is very good. (10 is the highest) This measures Activity, Pulse, Grimace (Reflex irritability), Appearance (Skin color), and Respiration. He missed the 1 point because his hands and feet were a little purple initially. They then brought him over to us and after the midwife finished with me, the friends and family all came in and were thrilled to see Baby Eli! Mom was the first of the group to hold him, as I thought she earned her place by being my labor coach until she could pass it on to Ryan. :) I think everyone got to hold him at that point, and we all just marveled at how amazing it was that it was so quick! I was prepared for 24-36 hours of active labor, so just under 5.5 hours was unbelievable! The Doctor's attributed it to my body reacting very quickly and fully to the induction methods, but I honestly believe that it was the prayers of everyone involved. God really is so good to have let Ryan get here just a few hours before Eli was born, and to give us a beautiful, healthy little boy.


I also want to mention that Eli is doing such a good job with nursing and Mother and son are having a good time learning together. :) This was something I was truly concerned with, and I am again so thankful that God is allowing Eli and me to learn so quickly.


The new nurse for this evening said she didn't want to jinx me, but she could not believe how good of a baby he was. He honestly hasn't cried more than a few wimpers here and there since that first cry when he was born. I know it is only the first night, but we really are blessed to have such a beautiful, content little boy.


I also want to make sure and thank my husband for all he is and does for me. He is selflessly serving our country and provides for me, and now for Eli. He really is a wonderful man that I am so lucky to have. He did such a beautiful job as my labor coach and did nothing but encourage me. The look on his face when he first saw our son was worth all the pain and stress of the pregnancy and labor. He really is going to be a tremendous father. Thank you babe!


Well, I think that is about it for now. I can't upload them all the pics now, but once I get back home I'll try to post some more."

2 comments:

Amy said...

He is sooooo precious. Enjoy every moment of your time with Ryan and Eli. Time goes by too quickly.

Unknown said...

Yay! An update, finally... I'm still waiting on you to do my tag, you know... I know you'll have plenty of time when you're up feeding Eli tonight. ;)

See ya tomorrow...