Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pediatrician woes...

Well, I scheduled Eli's first appointment with the Pediatrician yesterday, the 19th, for a weight check-up. I didn't research the place, because it was the only one in Gastonia that military insurance covered. I didn't dream there would be any issues, but boy was I WRONG! Mom, Renee, Haylee, Eli and I all piled up in the car and headed over there. (Ryan was supposed to come with, but he had to go to Charlotte to get Eli set-up on our insurance and unfortunately the 2 appointments conflicted) Well, we get there and it was interesting to say the least. The waiting room was literally like 10ftx10ft and there weren't any toys or anything, really bland. The clientel was how shall we say, from the lower end of the spectrum... Half of them looked like they were in a gang on the side and the other half hadn't showered in days! I felt like I needed to give Eli a tetnus shot just for being in the same room! Plus there was this scary man giving away suckers to everyone in sight! I was seriously contemplating just getting up and leaving, but I knew I needed to get his weight checked, so I decided to stick it out. After what seemed like FOREVER, we finally got called back and the nurse weighed Eli in at 9 lbs. That is 5 oz up from his weight when he left the hospital, which is really good. We thought that was all, but she said the Doc was gonna come and check him out. We waited another 45 minutes or so and she finally came in and said that he looks like a 2 month old and everything looks really good! She was really nice, but it doesn't make up for the shady office and shady clientel.

I've already called another pediatrician that is in Boiling Springs, that some people from church recommended, so I hope that works out, cause the only other pediatrician is one in Lincolnton and I really don't want to go that far if I don't have too. Here's to hoping that this doc and his office are not shady and I will feel more comfortable with it. I was really glad that I didn't go by myself and Mom and Renee could verify that I wasn't crazy and the place really was scary!

At least Eli is growing and looking great!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We need to post a review online somewhere about that place. We can at least warn others!

Rachel said...

ewwwww, that really brought back memories. I remember my mom saying that military clinics were run by Neanderthals, and I have to say most of them are! Hope your next experience is better!

Glad little Eli's doing well (I love that name, btw.) No pinky toes, either, says Renee!

Heather said...

Way to go-sticking it out! I have been to some shady healthcare facilities, but in third world countries! It shouldn't happen here, but unfortunately it does. I'm sure any ped. would be better than that one...but I also know you want the best for your Eli! Good luck!

Amy said...

That is so funny. I remember my first impression of Abby's first doctor's visit. It is so amazing to me how we see things more clearly when we become parents. Hang in there!