Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What I should have said...


...was "I don't think my bottom jaw is completely numb"... (as the dentist comes at me with the extraction tool)... Oh wait... That IS what I said!! I cannot quite explain the pain that followed as he yanked and pried and pulled on my poor unsuspecting bottom teeth... I pride myself on "acting" brave when I am at a doctor, dentist, etc... I mean, I ALWAYS got a sticker for not crying when I got a shot as a child. I am tough, not to be messed with, or so I thought. The whole time he was yanking, and I do mean "whole time" because it must have been a good minute on each tooth, I was wincing and making pathetic sounds which one would think would cue the guy to stop, wait, take a minute and let me recover, but no, he continued to pry all the while telling me how "good" I was doing! I wasn't doing good, I was in agony, but apparently dentists have a different measuring stick of good then the rest of the sane world. I still can't believe I managed to let him continue onto the 2nd tooth knowing full well the pain that was sure to follow. I guess the knowledge of my beautiful straight teeth (2.5 years later I might add) was the only thing spurring me on, and the consolation that my top jaw felt much more numb, assuring me of a much more, I hoped, manageable experience. Thankfully the top two teeth, yes that is a total of FOUR, brought the typical strong pressure feeling that usually accompany teeth being pulled and was quite bearable. Really, should it worry me that when the doctor sees me, he starts beaming while saying, "Oooo, you're the 4 extractions!" or after yanking my poor teeth, state, "What large teeth you have?" Or, "Wow, that was really hard?" So after him assuring me that I was a very good patient, and I could call him at home if I have a problem, I exited the office with the greatest relief of all... a prescription for powerful pain medication and no bill to pay! ;)

6 comments:

Twinmama said...

The red flag that would have send me running is the scary mask on his face!!! LOL Sorry you had to go thru the pain...pop those painkillers and relax!

Unknown said...

Yikes! Sounds awful!

Ellen said...

O-U-C-H!!!! I had a hard time even reading this post... hope you're feeling better!!

Unknown said...

Here's a wet paper towel, now go get some fresh air.

Bette Anne said...

I've missed you Sam... ;)

Dusty And Mandi said...

Ouch. I'm never going to the dentist again! Ha ha. Anyway, I found your page! I hope you don't mind but I stuck a link to it on my page so I don't have to try to just remember the address. ha ha.