Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Unfortunately, you can't shield them from everything...

Well, one of the many joys that comes with your child learning to walk is their attempting to run, and in turn falling on their face a few times... :( Normally it isn't too bad, and Eli just hops right up and tries again. Well, last night Eli wasn't really wanting to go to sleep, so I thought I would let him run around a little to maybe burn off his last reserves of energy and then he would fall right asleep. Unfortunately, that entailed running towards the cofee table, (we put it away in the office fearing this exact situation) tripping before making it and falling headfirst into the sharp corner edge... You guessed it... the coffee table won. I run over to pick up my screaming baby thinking maybe he hit his chin and his mouth might be bleeding, but no, he hit just above his right eye and he was "bleeding like a stuck pig". I scoop him up and head for the kitchen as I yell to Ryan to come help me... We make it to the kitchen and I get a paper towel and try to hold it on there to stop the bleeding, then Ryan comes over and he takes the job... Of course Eli did not agree to our switch, so he starts panicking even more because Daddy holds him a lot tighter than Mommy can... So we talk and Ryan told me to call my Mom to see what she thought we should do... I almost told her that we already had a wet paper towel on there, so she better have another solution, but I didn't! She said you might as well take him to the ER since we couldn't get the bleeding to stop and it was a pretty good size gash, so off to the ER we went, but not before I crafted an awesome bandage from some leftover gauze and medical tape I had lying around... He looked like a wounded war veteran for sure with all the tape I used!
We got to the ER and didn't wait too long until we were seen and the Doctor took off my wonderful bandage, and I had succesfully stopped the bleeding (Yay for Mommy!) but the Doc decided to open it to see how deep it was and then it started bleeding again, :( so he said it was too deep and we had to have stitches! :(

After waiting what seemed like an eternity, we had to lay him on the bed, and I pretty much laid down on him and held his hands and feet down while Ryan had a vice grip on his head... This in itself brought panic mode on and when the doc put the first shot into his boo-boo it was all over! He was screaming louder than I've ever heard him and he got 3-4 shots to numb the area and then he had to start the stitches and it was so awful! I just felt so bad for him because he just didn't understand why Mommy didn't pick him up and protect him from the mean man poking him. :( He of course bled everywhere and after it was finally all done, Ryan had to hold gauze on it to try to stop the bleeding while I laid with him and sang and tried to soothe him... He basically calmed down and when they didn't come back in to tell us anything, I just picked him up and basically all was well with the world! ;)

I have to change his bandaid and give him antibiotics, but otherwise you would never know it happened! He is playing, sleeping and eating fine, so that is a relief! We have to go back in 5-6 days to get the stitches removed, Oh joy, but we are just happy he is doing so good now!

So that is our latest trauma! Here are a few pics of our battle scarred baby!


Still looking adorable even with his boo-boo


Showing off his hospital ankle bracelet!


Close-up of his boo-boo! :(


This was this morning when he first woke up... He's still got the hospital bandaid on and his bloody shirt. :(


This is the bear the hospital gave to him and he kept hugging it the whole night! :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw!!! Poor Eli! He looks so happy in spite of his owie... amazing! Sorry you had to go through all that trauma, but hooray for you for carrying on all that was instilled in you as a child. ("Just put a wet paper towel on it!")
And btw, that is one scary bear! I think the security guard at GMH gave Haylee one that looked similar to that. Weird!
Hope Eli and Mommy are back to normal soon!

Mack Swaringen said...

HOW AWFUL!! Have you padded the entire house yet or put him in a bubble?? Poor Eli...We will be praying for his boo-boo.

I will never forget Jared's falling out the back door using his face for a brake on the brick steps.

Take care of Eli. Give him lots of kisses for us.

Love, Aunt Jen

Mack Swaringen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CLAIRE said...

HIS 1ST BATTLE SCAR! I'M SURE YOU WERE SCARED.HE'LL PROBABLY HAVE A BLACK EYE ALSO. WHAT IS THE YELLOW SQUARE WITH THE MAN DIGGING THAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOG PAGE. NANA

Bette Anne said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and that is my... "This blog is under construction" since I am doing a complete overhaul of everything... :)

Sherri said...

Poor guy! And poor Mommy & Daddy! It's no fun at all having to hold little ones down for stitches... it's such a hard thing to have to do.

So glad to see that he's bounced right back!

Twinmama said...

Oh the poor punkinhead! I know how scary it is having to go as far as taking them to the ER! Eli looks like he is doing great. Hopefully he won't think he has to re-live it when you go back to get the stitches out!! Keep us posted! :)

Rachel said...

Poor little thing! I'm so fortunate that none of my kids have needed stitches yet (keeping fingers crossed). I'm glad it wasn't serious, though!

Btw, love your new blog look!

Unknown said...

Man you lucked out. You have the best baby ever. BTW that looks like an ugly doll. Those are so cool!!!

Dusty And Mandi said...

Poor Baby! That looks so painful. He's such a trooper; he looks so happy even though he's got an owie.

Amy said...

Aw, the poor thing. Last summer Sarah had to get stitches just under her eye. The ER here used a numbing cream that was topical. Shots like that are too traumatic for kids. Too bad they didn't do the same for Eli. I am glad he is healing up just fine. Amazing how resilient kids are.