Thursday, August 14, 2008

Have you checked your spending lately?

Well, tonight I decided to do a little investigation about our expenses since We've started really locking down everything...

Our total grocery/dining out/toiletries/Baby/Personal Goods, CVS Shopping, etc... (Pretty much everything except Gas, clothing, and bills...) for the first 2 weeks of the month, was about $520 and that was with me doing the Grocery Game and eating out for Ryan's lunches and going out to eat 2-3 times as a family a week.

We realized we really needed to cut back, so I started making his lunches 5 days a week and cutting out our going out to eat to maybe 1 time a week. The last 2 week total is down to $180 and that is with a $40 Olive Garden Sunday Lunch! (Ouch!) I know I've gotten a lot better with the GG, but seriously that is a BIG difference just for cutting out going out to eat! Yay!

I really enjoy making his lunches, and he has benefited from getting a little healthier, and cooking dinner EVERY night is forcing me to try a few new things and hopefully Ryan doesn't get too bored with my cooking! ;) I just think it is crazy that we saved $340 over only 2 weeks just by cutting out dining out!

It really keeps me to committed to the Grocery Game and making our own meals! Hopefully each month our totals will keep going down, down, down!!! :)

I hope no one is offended by me talking about money... I just think it is so important to be a good steward of what God has given us, so I am really doing my best to get everything in order!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not offended. Check any web site, book, flyer, or magazine, the number one make it or break it thing in marriage is money whether people want to admit it or not. We are in the crunch time too, so Heather can go to school and I don't have to work. We we're doing the same thing. Playing the GG and then eating out and then throwing food away because it would get expired. Keep up the good work.

Amy's Journal said...

I think that is amazing.. If we all sat down and did that we would all be in TOTAL SHOCK.. I am scared too... After kids though we did cut out eating out a lot.. It helped!

Ellen said...

Kudos to you for making changes and saving money. We've been following the Larry Burkett budget system for approx the last 8 yrs. It's a nice feeling to know where the money's going and see yourself saving. Keep up the great work!! As fun as it is, unfortunately eating out can really add up... it becomes an even bigger treat when it's only a once-in-a-while event. :)

Twinmama said...

It is amazing how much we spend going out to eat for one meal...and mentally calculating how many at home meals one can get out of that one restaurant bill! Yikes - we are cutting back too!

Rachel said...

Hey, np! You're inspiring me to be more careful where I spend and on what. I agree with you that eating out is the single biggest money-waster on the budget. After all, it's not like it's really necessary (usually).

Do you need any recipe spots? You might want to check out the Pioneer Woman's site. If you haven't heard of her before, she's a country club gal who married a Texas rancher and now lives 50 miles from the nearest starbucks. She's hilarious, and has amazing recipes and great photo skills, which I figured you'd like.