Saturday, November 1, 2008

Why I'm not allowed on anymore slides.

Well, today started off like a wonderful Saturday morning... Ryan's Mom is visiting, so we woke up, had some breakfast, got showered and ready, and headed to the Fall Festival at our Church... It was a lot of fun and they had a blow up bounce house and blow up slide... Eli enjoyed the bounce house but we weren't allowed to go with him, so he just kind of sat in there, and we played a few other games, but the slide looked like fun because Eli LOVES slides... So, the first time down I sat him on my lap and we flew down the slide and he loved it... We played a few more games and then I noticed there was no one on the slide, so I carried Eli back up and got ready to go again... I thought (stupidly) that since there was no one in line, I should let him slide in front of me and not on my lap. (first mistake) and unfortunately I didn't take his shoes off. (second mistake) So, on our way down he was enjoying it, until his rubber sneaker caught on the slide and his leg went underneath him and I and bent awkardly... I saw it immediately and was trying to get my weight off it, and of course he screamed instantly... He was absolutely inconsolable which is NOTHING like him... Whenever he's gotten hurt, I can always calm him down within minutes. We tried to stand him up and he screamed in pain as his leg quivered... Ryan was sure it was broken, and we both knew something was really wrong... We packed up and headed on to the Emergency Room (Eli screaming and fussing the entire way! He sreamed and fussed for at least a solid hour!) :( Thankfully they promptly saw us and literally were getting x-rays within 5-10 minutes of showing up at the hospital. One of the worst parts was I was not able to stay with him during the x-rays because I'm pregnant, so Eli did not appreciate me setting him down on the bed and walking away! :( Thankfully Daddy was there and did an excellent job of trying to console him... I FINALLY was able to get Eli comfortable and asleep when the Doctor came in and gave us the bad news that his tibia or shin bone was indeed broken! :( He said it is ALOT better than what they thought was broken (his hip bone) They let us look at the x-ray and it is a hair line crack across his left shin bone... It is not displaced, so there was no need to set it (Thank goodness!) and they came about 30 minutes later to place a splint on it and then he'll be getting a full leg cast sometime by the middle of the week... The reason they'll do a full leg is so he won't try to walk, which could cause a full break of the leg... They say because he is so young his leg should heal in about half the time as an adult, but still means about a month of recovery for a very active boy! :( He has been a little fussy, but overall, has been trying to play and be as active as possible... Here are a few pics of our pitful little boy...

Here we were on our FIRST trip down the slide when Eli was happy and before Mommy hurt him! :(
And here he is on the way home from the hospital riding in his carseat forward facing for the first time in the Taurus because his knees have to bend when he's rear faced, so he seemed to like that! He's so pitiful!


And here he is sitting with Daddy looking pitiful!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Poor little guy! I broke my arm when I was 11 and I whined a lot, so I am sure he is fussy after all that! Accidents happen. It's okay. I'm glad that it should be an easy heal. I guess this is a bit of a spoiling pass for him too! Feel better, Eli! (and mommy) =)

Melissa said...

Poor little man. I hope he is taking it like a trooper!

Sherri said...

Oh that is just soooooo pitiful! Poor little guy!

So glad it wasn't worse! We'll be praying for little Eli to make a speedy recovery!

Ellen said...

Praying for you all! I'm sooooo sorry! I'll be praying that his leg heals quickly...

Twinmama said...

Aww, the poor punkin! I feel for you and hope that Eli makes a quick recovery. It will be an adjustment, but time will fly by, and he probably won't even remember it before too long! :) Praying for you all!

Unknown said...

I feel so bad for him. I broke my arm once and I hated it, I can't imagine breaking a leg. I hope it heals quickly.

Pumpkinhead-Michelle said...

Poor little guy. Hope he is feeling a bit better now. It is no fun when our kids are hurt. I will be praying for a quick recovery!!

Life is Good said...

Poor Eli!! I hope its a speddy recovery!! Accidents happen!!

Jackie said...

Oh, I feel so sorry for both of you! I know you felt terrible. Bless his heart. I hope you guys get a long ok. We will be praying for a fast recovery.

Dusty And Mandi said...

Poor guy! Like others say; accidents happen it's not your fault. I hope he's doing better!