Friday, September 21, 2007

What's in a name?

Well, you remember my post about how I was starting to walk to try to lose the pregnancy pounds? Well, upon the advice of others and what I had been thinking myself, I decided to join WeightWatchers and give it a try. I know quite a few people who have lost a lot of weight on this program, and I am determined to be one of them. I went to my first meeting on the 6th of September and last night was my 3rd meeting and weigh in. If you don't understand the concept of WeightWatchers and their meetings, the basic idea is you weigh in once a week and then there is kind of a motivational speaker who encourages you to keep at it. Then they have plans where you track what you eat by points or a new plan where you eat from a varied list of healthy foods. I chose the Points or the Flex plan because I need the accountability of only having a certain number of points. I've been doing pretty good and the first week I lost 3.6 and the second 1.6, so I've lost 5.2 lbs so far and the scale will only go down from here! My goal right now is to lose 30 lbs by Christmas, so we'll see if that happens. Some say WeightWatchers is just a gimmick, which I tend to agree with because all it really is is choosing to eat proper portion sizes of low calorie, healthy foods. Don't get me wrong, you can choose to have fattening things, but they cost you so many points that you would rather have more healthy, lower point items. I really like it though because it does the work of calorie counting for me, so I can just add up the points, and not worry about calories and fat grams!

Well, at the meetings they make you wear a nametag and it feels kind of like an AA meeting on steroids. :) Not that I've ever been to an AA meeting, but I've seen them in movies. :) The leader for these meetings runs around and is just way too excited about everything, so it's loads of fun seeing what she's gonna say. Anyways after last night's meeting I needed to run to Walmart to get some groceries cause we were out of a lot of the staples that I cook with. Well, after shopping for 20-30 minutes, I was walking to my car and people watching as I went. I don't know if you've ever seen the show, "What not to Wear" on TLC, but they find the most horrendously fashion challenged people and help them get a new fashionable wardrobe. Well, as I was people watching I kept thinking, "Oh wow, they are an excellent candidate for that show." After thinking this about 3-4 people, I looked down at what I was wearing to see if other people would think I needed the show as well. And low and behold guess what I was still wearing... my stupid WeightWatchers nametag! So, not only did I walk around Walmart for 20-30 minutes with a nametag, but with a nametag that screamed WEIGHTWATCHERS!!!! I thought I was gonna die, but decided I would get over it! :) Here is a rendition of the nametag we wear at the meetings... :) I guess it's good for me to get over my pride!

7 comments:

Heather said...

That is seriously, like the FUNNIEST story I have heard in a LONG time. That is so classic and ironic. WOW! Congrats on the weight loss though, I am so proud of you! =)

Rachel said...

Oh my, that's just too funny! Welcome to the world of baby spit and drool on your shoulder!

Congrats on your weight loss, and good for you to go after your goals!

Amy's Journal said...

I told you.. I need to start back .. I got it al off but 10lbs and i hate this 10 lbs.. its following me around.. litterly

Unknown said...

very funny... good for the ego! congrats on the weight loss...

Anonymous said...

IF I HAD SEEN YOU, I'D HAVE GIVEN YOU A THUMBS UP AND YELL WAY TO GO. ANY ONE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT NEEDS ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT THEY CAN GET. YOU ARE OFF TO A GREAT START. I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. NANA

Anonymous said...

I lost 30 lbs on WW, but we didn't have to wear name tags at all (thank goodness). After losing the first 10, I stopped going because I decided I could do it myself without support and lost the next 20 just by counting the points. I loved being on WW and my family did, too. I have gained back 10, but kept the other 20 off for two years now. It was much easier than I thought and once you know your points for everything, you really don't forget them. The trick is buying snacks with lots of fiber!!! Good luck to you!! Barbara

Heather said...

Yeah that's cool if Susanna hangs out too. I will call you either this afternoon or tomorrow morn. to make plans. =)