Thursday, April 24, 2008

Our Emergency Visit...

Well, this post somehow slipped through the cracks I think because it felt very daunting to write out the whole story... But anyhow, I thought I should post about our scary experience last week... As some of you know we have all been battling sickness the last couple weeks with Pink Eye, sore throats, flu like symptoms, etc... We seemed to keep giving the sickness to each other, and as of last Thursday, Ryan and Eli seemed to be on the mend while I remained feeling sick and yucky... Then within 24 hours, Ryan went from hanging out with Eli all day the day before to lying in bed moaning in pain and burning up with a fever... I thought it might help just to take some Tylenol and let him sleep, but his fever just kept going up and he was complaining of searing back pain and headaches, and it was hard for him to even focus to tell me what was wrong... I was getting a little worried as his fever climbed to 103.1, but decided to run a lukewarm bath to see if that would help cool him down and relax him a little... I searched online for an urgent care center that I could call and see if his symptoms were severe enough to be brought in, but I had no luck finding one that was open after hours, and really without any other options, I decided to bite the bullet and dial 911... I just wanted to ask if this was normal or if I was overreacting, but they didn't really want to talk to me, they said they could send an ambulance and they could look at him if I wanted and that it wouldn't be a problem... I reluctantly said yes, feeling silly for calling when I could drive him in myself, but I figured they can look at him and tell us that he is really okay and he'll be fine... So, I go tell Ryan that the ambulance is on the way, and he is less than thrilled, but he attempts to get dressed and collapses back in bed while we wait.. They were of course there in no time and barely took his pulse and blood pressure before they decided to take him to the hospital because his blood pressure was elevated and the fever was not responding to Tylenol...

So, he's packed into the Ambulance and I rush around to get all of Eli's stuff ready wishing more than anything that we were closer to family, so they could watch him! I ended up getting ready and out the door in time to follow the ambulance to the hospital... Unfortunately I still had to wait for nearly an HOUR in the emergency room just to go up and see him! I mean, I followed him in for grief sake! By the way, I was SO Thankful that we didn't go to the Emergency Room because Ryan could not have handled waiting in the waiting room for a couple hours in his condition! I think we both would have gone crazy! ;) Thankfully I had the stroller and Eli just sat in that smiling and laughing at all the sick/injured people around him! We finally were let up and they ran a bevy of tests and found he had a very severe case of strep throat, so after a big fat penicillin shot and a couple hours in the hospital we were finally on our way home! Well, after we stopped at the Pharmacy to pick up his pain medication... I think I finally laid my head on the pillow at around 2:00-2:30 a.m. Ryan still had a rough go of it with nausea and overall yucky feeling for a couple days, but thankfully has come out relatively unscathed! ;)

Eli and I were seen the next day and thankfully didn't test positive for strep, but they did give me a ton of antibiotics and other medicine to help fight the infection I was dealing with! I feel a ton better now thankfully, but it sure isn't fun when both of us are sick, because I still have to take care of Eli, so it gets a little interesting to say the least!

So, that's our little emergency visit... hopefully that will be the last time we see that hospital for a long time! ;)

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Strep can be bad! I had it really bad last January and took myself to the urgent care and I remember waiting and I was miserable. Once I got to see the Dr. he was like this is bad I know you are in a lot of pain. So he gave me antibotics b/c I am allergic to penicillin and pain medicine and I was out of commission for 4 days. So I hope he is feeling better and you guys are feeling better too. Take care!

Sherri said...

Just proof that the bigger they are... the harder they fall! ;) Glad everyone's doing better!

Rachel said...

Goodness, glad everyone is relatively okay and on the mend! It's always difficult to know how serious to take illnesses. I'm always second-guessing myself whenever we come down with something. I figure it's better safe than sorry!

Unknown said...

Crazy scary. I'm glad you don't have to make those decisions with out health care.